No time to cook? I know how you feel. All of us are busy people these days, but that doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice good food! That’s where this beef taco skillet recipe comes in. It only takes 30 minutes and it tastes soooo good!
It’s a skillet dish with ground beef, fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilis, cheese, and taco seasoning. You can add any veggies you want or have on hand – cauliflower rice is my favorite because it has lots of delicious flavor without being heavy. And the best part is that it’s made in one pan, making after-dinner cleanup super easy!
This is a quick and easy recipe for those nights when you have no time at all but still need something tasty. It uses ingredients that are already in your kitchen so there is no special shopping needed, and it will leave you feeling full and satisfied without costing a fortune or taking up too much time!
Taco Skillet Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this yummy beef taco skillet for dinner. For specific quantities and directions, jump to the recipe card below.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- White onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Ground beef (80% lean)
- Can of fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilis
- Taco seasoning
- Mexican-blend cheese, shredded
How to Make a Ground Beef Taco Skillet
Now it’s time to pull all those ingredients together! Start by heating the oil in your pan and cooking your onions and garlic with a little salt and black pepper until the onions soften. Then, add the beef, brown it, and drain it. Add the tomatoes and green chilis along with some homemade taco seasoning, and cook until it’s heated through. Now it’s ready for your favorite taco toppings!
Try this recipe:
Can I use packaged taco seasoning?
Yes, you can use store-bought taco seasoning. One packet should suffice if that’s what you usually use to make your tacos. However, having a good basic spice pantry is so handy. You’ll never go back to packed seasonings again once you see how easy it is to make your own!
Can I substitute the ground beef?
Yes, you can substitute the ground beef with ground chicken or turkey. Ground beef is higher in saturated fats and doesn’t work for everyone’s diet. Chicken and turkey both have lower fat and saturated fats than ground beef. Plus, some people just prefer diets that are lower in red meat, so poultry is a great option! Since ground chicken and turkey have a milder flavor, however, you may want to cut back on the seasoning just a tad and then add more in once you taste it if needed.
Double or triple this recipe to put some in the freezer for an even quicker meal when you need it. Just freeze the prepared ground beef mixture (without cheese) in freezer bags or freezer-friendly dishes. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, and reheat in the microwave or a skillet before adding your toppings.
Check out our list of 40+ 30-Minute Ground Beef Recipes!
What to Serve with This Beef Taco Skillet
- sour cream
- pickled red onions
- corn salsa
- green onions
Looking for different ways to serve this up to your family? Here are some ideas!
- Serve with tortilla chips (as shown) as an appetizer or a meal
- Serve over romaine lettuce for a filling and low-carb take on a taco salad
- Make quesadillas by topping half the tortilla with the ground beef mixture, adding cheese, and folding it in half
- Add to cooked pasta for a delicious taco pasta dish
- Add leftovers to an omelet the next morning
- Serve the beef mixture in a baked potato topped with loads of cheese, sour cream, and green onions. Taco potatoes!
We hope you enjoyed this quick and easy beef taco skillet recipe. Get the printable recipe below for your convenience!
Quick and Easy Beef Taco Skillet
This fresh and flavorful 30-minute beef taco skillet is an easy meal for busy weeknights. You can serve it as a main dish, topped off with lettuce; tomatoes, salsa, and extra cheese . Or you could turn this into an appetizer by serving with tortilla chips before topping the mixture with avocado, diced tomatoes, and fresh green onions!
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1¼ lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 T. homemade taco seasoning
- 1 10-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilis, drained
- 4 oz. shredded Mexican-blend cheese (plus extra for serving or topping)
- Add olive oil to a large skillet set on medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic to the pan and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine, and saute, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove from heat and drain excess fat.
- Add taco seasoning and fire-roasted tomatoes and green chilis and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes are heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Taste, and add additional taco seasoning or salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove from heat and top with shredded cheese. Cover for 1-2 minutes for the cheese to melt completely. Serve immediately with chips, taco shells, or over a salad.
Use 1 packet of store-bought taco seasoning if you're not using the homemade taco seasoning linked to here.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 456mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 32g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.