Do you want to bring a delicious picnic side dish that everyone will enjoy? The greatest is this Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs. It’s a simple method to get a tasty bite without putting forth a lot of effort.
Potato salad is the essence of “picnic.” It goes great with burgers, sandwiches, and much more. Fresh herbs give a lot of flavor to this creamy version, which takes only a few minutes to prepare. Make this recipe a day ahead of time for optimal results, so the flavors can fully emerge.
Why is my potato salad gummy?
It is due to undercooking or overcooking the potatoes. If you don’t cook them long enough, you’ll end up with firm, crunchy potatoes, which aren’t the texture you want in this meal. On the other hand, if you cook them for too long, they will get mushy.
Can you eat the skin of red potatoes?
Yes, the skin of a baked potato can be eaten. Red potatoes have a thin peel that adds a touch of texture but has no effect on the taste. When cooking, leaving the skin on the potato helps it preserve its shape. If you cut the potato into pieces and then cook it, the chunks are more likely to preserve their shape rather than turn to mush.
How long does potato salad last in the fridge?
This creamy potato salad will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. After that, keep it covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator’s back corner. It will last longer if you take out one serving at a time rather than allowing the whole bowl to come to room temperature several times.
What are the ingredients to make creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs?
This Creamy Red Potato Salad is estimated to have a prep time of 20 minutes and a cook time of 3 to 5 minutes. Here are the ingredients you’re going to need for 6 to 8 servings:
- Red potatoes – Make sure you get the freshest red potatoes you can. Because these are the main attraction of the dish, you want them to be crisp and free of blemishes.
- Water – Helps regulate temperature during cooking.
- Mayonnaise – You can use regular mayonnaise or low-fat mayonnaise if you like. If you prefer Miracle Whip, feel free to use that instead.
- Plain Greek yogurt – Remember to stay away from flavors.
- Shallot – It tastes like a combination of garlic and yellow onion.
- Dijon mustard – It lends a slight zest to the flavor that is hard to imitate.
- Fresh dill – The secret to making this recipe amazing.
- Fresh parsley – This is an important component of the flavor of this potato salad recipe.
- Sea salt and black pepper – Allow your visitors to season to their liking with additional salt and pepper.
How to make creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs?
Now that you have gathered all of your ingredients, it is time to make this recipe. Follow the instructions below.
Mix potatoes with 2 tablespoons of water in a large microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until fork-tender, covered (Begin checking after 2 minutes because microwave cooking times vary). Potatoes should be soft enough to split with a fork but hard enough to stand on their own.
Then, drain the potatoes from the dish. To dry, spread out in a single layer on a big baking sheet. If necessary, gently blot with a paper towel.
Next, combine mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, shallot, mustard, and fresh herbs in a small glass bowl. Stir everything together completely. Toss the potatoes in a separate bowl with the mayonnaise mixture and toss to coat. To taste, season with salt and black pepper and mix to blend.
Remember to have more control over how much mayonnaise to put on your potato salad. Don’t pour it all in at once.
Lastly, serve right away, or cover and keep refrigerated for up to 1-2 days. Enjoy!
Now that you know all you need to know about creamy red potato salad with fresh herbs, it is time to print or save the recipe with the exact measurements.
Not ready to print? No problem! Save this pin in your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located in the recipe card.
Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs
Nothing says “picnic” like potato salad. Fresh herbs add a lot of flavor to this creamy version that comes together in just a few minutes. This Creamy Red Potato Salad with Fresh Herbs is the right choice for every picnic that you're planning to have. For best results, make this dish a day in advance so the flavors have a chance to fully develop.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- 2 T. water
- ¾ c. mayonnaise
- ¾ c. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3 T. Dijon mustard
- ¼ c. fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a large microwave-safe dish and add 2 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes or until fork tender. (Cooking time will vary by microwave, so check after 2 minutes. Potatoes should be tender enough to split with a fork, but still firm).
- Remove potatoes from dish and drain. Spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet to dry completed. Blot gently with a paper towel, if needed.
- In a small glass bowl, add mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, shallot, mustard, and fresh herbs. Stir to combine thoroughly. Add potatoes to a separate bowl and gradually add mayonnaise mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste and stir to combine.Tip: Don’t add all of the mayonnaise mixture at once so you have more control over how much is added to your potato salad.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.