This Best Chicken Cordon Bleu with Creamy Butter Sauce is crispy on the outside and delightfully juicy on the inside! In this incredible recipe, nutty cheese, and salty ham slices roast in the heart of thin cutlets. All of this is topped off with a thick, creamy sauce that elevates this dish to new heights!
What is the meaning of the word Cordon Bleu?
Cordon bleu translates to “blue ribbon” in English. Cordon bleu was initially a wide blue ribbon worn by members of the highest order of knighthood, L’Ordre des chevaliers du Saint-Esprit, created by Henri III of France in 1578, according to Larousse Gastronomique.
How do you keep the cheese from coming out of cordon bleu?
Coat everything in flour, including the ends, and close the broader part with toothpicks. The majority of the cheese melts even when the cutlet is folded in an envelope style. Cook them in butter on the stovetop.
You might enjoy these recipes:
- Spicy Chicken Satay with a Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 10 Tasty Easter Chicken Recipes for Your Holiday Dinner
How do you close chicken without toothpicks?
Try using raw spaghetti instead of toothpicks when attaching stuffed chicken breasts and meats. It’s effective and delicious!
What are the ingredients to make chicken cordon bleu with creamy butter sauce?
With a prep time of 20 minutes and a cook time of 30 to 35 minutes, the following are the ingredients you will need for 4 to 6 servings.
- Baby Swiss cheese – Its flavor is light and buttery, with a creamier texture.
- Sea salt and black pepper – Seasonings that most recipes call for.
- All-purpose flour, eggs, panko bread crumbs – For coating
- Italian seasoning – You can buy pre-made herb blends or make your own.
- Garlic powder – Adds a subtle fullness of flavor.
- Parmesan cheese – For fruity and nutty flavors.
- Chicken broth – Brings extra flavor to the sauce.
- Greek yogurt – For a velvety texture and tangy flavor.
- Heavy cream – Helps thicken the sauce.
- Dijon mustard – Adds a tangy, sharp, and strong flavor with a slight spice.
- Unsalted butter – Gives you complete control of the overall flavor of this recipe.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Deli ham
How to make chicken cordon bleu with creamy butter sauce?
Now that you have gathered your ingredients, it is time to make this recipe. Follow the instructions below.
Start by preheating the oven to 350°F with the top oven rack in the center. Use parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat to line a large, rimmed baking sheet. Place aside.
Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound until 1/4 inches thick with a meat mallet or rolling pin. 2 pieces of deli ham and 2 slices of Swiss cheese on top of each chicken breast.
Then roll each chicken breast tightly and secure it with toothpicks. Set aside after seasoning with salt and black pepper, if preferred.
Mix the flour, 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in a small bowl—season to taste with salt and black pepper and whisk to blend. Place aside.
In a second bowl, combine the eggs and water. Set aside after whisking everything together.
In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and the remaining Italian seasoning. If preferred, season with a pinch of salt and black pepper and mix to blend. Place aside.
After that, dredge each chicken breast in seasoned flour until it is completely covered. Then roll the floured breasts in the egg wash until they’re completely covered. Finally, coat the egg-coated breasts with the seasoned breadcrumb mixture thoroughly.
Place each breast on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads just below 165°F for safe internal temperature. While the chicken rests, the temperature will continue to rise by several degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine the chicken broth, Greek yogurt, heavy cream, and Dijon mustard when the chicken is about ready to come out of the oven. Set aside after mixing everything.
Then in a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir until completely melted. Slowly whisk in the flour, a little at a time, until the butter is thoroughly mixed and no lumps remain.
Season with salt and black pepper to taste after adding the yogurt mixture. Cook, constantly whisking, for several minutes, until the sauce thickens and is well cooked. Take off the heat and keep toasty.
Lastly, remove the chicken from the oven and set it aside to cool before slicing. Serve immediately with your choice of sides and the butter sauce.
Now that you know all you need about chicken cordon bleu with creamy butter sauce, it is time to print or save the recipe with the exact measurements.
Not ready to print? No problem! Save this pin in your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located on the recipe card.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices deli ham
- 8 slices baby Swiss cheese
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 c. water
- 1½ c. panko bread crumbs
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1½ c. chicken broth
- ¼ c. Greek yogurt
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- 2 T. Dijon mustard
- ¼ c. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ Parmesan cheese, grated
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat. Set aside.
- Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until ¼” thick. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of deli ham and 2 slices of Swiss cheese.
- Tightly jelly roll each chicken breast and secure with toothpicks. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired, and set aside.
- Add the flour, ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning, and garlic powder to a shallow bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add the eggs and water to a second bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and remaining Italian seasoning to a third bowl. Lightly season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the seasoned flour until covered on all sides. Then dip the floured breasts into the egg wash and roll until coated. Finally, roll the egg-covered breasts in the seasoned breadcrumb mixture until thoroughly coated.
- Transfer each breast to the prepared baking sheet and place in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of just below 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. (The temperature will continue rising several degrees while the chicken rests).
- When the chicken is almost ready to come out of the oven, combine the chicken broth, Greek yogurt, heavy cream, and Dijon mustard in a medium bowl. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Add the butter to a small skillet set over medium heat. Stir occasionally until melted. Slowly whisk the flour in a little at a time until completely blended into the butter without any lumps remaining.
- Stir in the yogurt mixture and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook for several minutes, whisking continually, until the sauce thickens and is heated through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Remove chicken from oven and let cool for several minutes before slicing. Serve immediately topped with the butter sauce and your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Toothpicks are needed to close the breasts.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 645Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 212mgSodium: 1210mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 50g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.