This delicious appetizer is similar to Rumaki but without the chicken livers and brown sugar. Honey adds a touch of sweetness to this dish, while a spicy mustard dip adds some spice. They form a winning mix that will quickly become a new family favorite!
Can you reheat leftover bacon and water chestnut wraps?
Make the bacon-wrapped chestnuts ahead of time and reheat them right before serving. Place them in a 400°F oven for about five minutes to warm them. They’ll taste just as good as the day they were cooked, if not better, because they’ve had more time to soak up the sauce.
Checkout these recipes:
Can you freeze water chestnuts wrapped in bacon?
Water chestnuts coated in bacon are freezer-friendly. Bake them until done, then cool to room temperature before freezing them solid on a baking sheet. Freeze the frozen bites for up to three months in an airtight container or freezer bag.
What is the best way to keep bacon securely wrapped on water chestnuts?
To poke inside each chestnut, you’ll need some wooden toothpicks. This is the most effective way to keep the bacon wrapped around the chestnut while it bakes.
What are the ingredients to make bacon-wrapped water chestnuts with spicy mustard dip?
This recipe has a prep time of 30 minutes and 30 to 35 minutes cook time. The following are the ingredients you’re going to need which serves 4 to 6, approximately 24 appetizers.
- Center-cut bacon – Choose a thin piece of bacon if you don’t want the bacon to overshadow the water chestnuts.
- Gluten-free soy sauce – Sweeter, lighter, and less thick than the traditional one.
- Honey – Imparts a rich flavor to the glaze.
- Water chestnuts – If you’re not sure where to look for these at the store, look in the aisle where “international” ingredients or “Asian” things are sold.
- Greek yogurt – For a velvety texture and tangy flavor.
- Dijon mustard – Adds a tangy, sharp, and strong flavor with slight spice.
- Hot sauce – For a funky flavor.
- Cayenne pepper – Brings spiciness to another level.
- Fresh parsley – Adds balance to this savory dish.
- Sea salt and black pepper – Seasonings that most recipes call for.
How to make bacon-wrapped water chestnuts with spicy mustard dip?
It’s time to put this recipe together now that you’ve gathered all of your ingredients.
To make 48 pieces, cut bacon strips in half lengthwise, then cut each thin strip into three equal chunks. Place aside.
Then in a medium mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce and honey. Turn in the water chestnuts to coat them. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, flipping water chestnuts 2-3 times during that time.
Preheat the oven to 400 ℉ and set a metal rack inside a big, rimmed baking sheet. Set aside the rack after spraying it with nonstick frying spray.
After that, remove the water chestnuts but keep the marinade. Wrap a piece of bacon around each water chestnut, then repeat with a second strip on the opposite side. Place both slices of bacon on a baking rack and secure with toothpicks.
Repeat with the rest of the water chestnuts. Reserved marinade on all sides of each appetizer. Remove the prepared baking sheet from the oven and brush with more marinade before returning to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, spicy sauce, cayenne pepper, and parsley while the water chestnuts are roasting. To taste, season with salt and black pepper. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
When the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts are done, take them from the oven and serve right away with the spicy mustard sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Now that you know all you need to know about bacon-wrapped water chestnuts with spicy mustard dip, it is time to print or save the recipe with the exact measurements.
Not ready to print? No problem! Save this pin in your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located in the recipe card.
Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts with Spicy Mustard Dip
This tasty little appetizer is reminiscent of the classic Rumaki, minus the chicken livers and brown sugar. In this version, honey provides a touch of sweetness, while a spicy mustard dip adds some heat. Together, they create a winning combination that will soon become a new family favorite!
- 8 strips center-cut bacon
- 1/3 c. gluten-free soy sauce
- 3 T. honey, preferably local
- 2 8-oz. can water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
- ¾ c. Greek yogurt
- 2½ T. Dijon mustard
- 1 T. hot sauce
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- 2 T. fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cut bacon strips in half lengthwise, then cut each thin strip into 3 equal sections for a total of 48 pieces. Set aside.
- Mix soy sauce and honey in a medium mixing bowl. Add water chestnuts and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes, turning water chestnuts 2-3 times during that time.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and place a metal rack inside a large, rimmed baking sheet. Spray rack with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Drain water chestnuts, but reserve the marinade. Wrap each water chestnut with a piece of bacon, then repeat with a second strip on the opposite side. Secure both pieces of bacon with a toothpick and place on baking rack.
- Repeat with remaining water chestnuts. Each appetizer with reserved marinade on all sides. Place prepared baking sheet in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and brush with more marinade before returning to oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- While the water chestnuts are roasting, combine Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, cayenne pepper, and parsley in a small bowl. Season salt and black pepper, to taste. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When finished, remove the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts from the oven and serve immediately with the spicy mustard sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 1260mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 10g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.