Have you ever wanted to make your own Shark Costume Cupcakes? If so, this blog post is for you! I will teach you how to create a shark cupcake that looks just like it came from a bakery.
What makes this cupcake fun and exciting is that you can even enjoy them during Shark Week with your family!
Can you make these shark cupcakes ahead?
It is best to make these cupcakes the day of, but you can store them for up to two days in an airtight container.
Can I use a different frosting?
Of course! You could even put some orange food coloring into vanilla buttercream icing for an easy Shark Week-inspired look or any other type of white cake batter with chocolate frosting that would work great as well.
Can you use any boxed cake mix?
The best types of cake mix to use are white and devil’s food. You want a white sandy beach, but if you don’t have you can use your favorite boxed cake mix.
What is the difference between a muffin pan and a cupcake pan?
The difference is that a muffin pan and a cupcake pan are not the same in size. Muffin tins are larger and deeper than cupcake pans, which is why the baking times will be different if you were to try using a muffin pan instead of a cupcake pan.
For this recipe, we recommend using a muffin pan because the cupcake tin will not be deep enough to hold the toppings in this cupcake.
How do you store homemade cake?
You can store these shark cupcake in the refrigerator for up to a week. Using a seal-tight container that is refrigeration-friendly.
What are the ingredients to make these homemade shark cupcakes?
The ingredients for these homemade shark cupcakes are cake mix, vegetable oil, egg whites, frosting, and candy melts.
For the frosting, you will need the following ingredients: white frosting and blue gel food color.
To make the shark fin, you will need candy melts, parchment, wax paper, kitchen scissors, and a sandwich baggy.
To make the sand for this cupcake, you are going to need graham crackers.
Now that you know about the ingredients, it is time to create these shark costume cupcakes.
How to Make Shark Costume Cupcakes
To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare (2) 12 count muffin tins with a cupcake or use paper liners. Mix the cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and egg whites well.
Fill the muffin wells halfway with cake batter and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Place a toothpick at 18 minutes. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool.
To make the shark fins:
Count out 20 Wilton black candy melts and 20 white Wilton candy melts.
Melt black, and white Wilton candy melts in the microwave using a microwave-safe glass bowl.
Allow the candy melts to cool for a few minutes before scooping into a sandwich bag.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
Snip a small corner of the sandwich baggy.
Pour the chocolate onto a lined baking sheet to outline a shark fin about 1-inch in size.
Squeeze some melted chocolate in the middle of the cake and fill the fin with a toothpick. Repeat this process with 24 chocolate fins.
It is always a good idea to make extra because some might break or turn out poorly.
Let the shark fins set for 30 minutes.
To make the frosting:
Add a few drops of blue gel food coloring into the white frosting and stir to combine.
Generously frost the cupcakes with blue frosting.
Next, dip half of the cupcake into the crushed graham cracker crumbs to make a sand beach.
Carefully place a shark fin in the “water.”
If it has trouble standing, insert a toothpick behind the fin to help it stand.
Repeat with all the cupcakes
- 1 box of white cake mix, any brand
- 1 C. water
- 2/3 C. vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- white frosting
- blue gel food coloring
- 1 sleeve of graham crackers, crushed
- 10 oz Wilton black candy melts
- 10 oz Wilton white candy melts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line (2) 12 count muffin tins with cupcake liners. Combine the white cake mix, water, vegetable oil, and egg whites mixing well.
- Fill each muffin well halfway with cupcake batter and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick for around 18 minutes. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool. Count out 40 black Wilton candy melts and 40 white Wilton candy melts.
- Please place them in a microwave-safe dish and heat in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring until melted.
- Let the candy melts cool a few minutes, and then scoop the melted chocolate into the small sandwich baggy.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Snip a small corner of the sandwich baggy and gently squeeze the melted chocolate out of the baggy and onto the lined baking sheet outlining a shark fin, about 1" in size.
- Squeeze some of the melted chocolate into the middle of the shark fin and use a toothpick to fill it in. Repeat this process with 24 chocolate fins.
- It's always a good idea to make a few extra if some break or don't turn out.
- Let the shark fins set for about 30 minutes.
- Add a few drops of blue gel food coloring to the white frosting and stir to combine. Generously frost the cupcakes with blue frosting and dip half into the crushed graham cracker crumbs to make the beach.
- Carefully place a shark fin in the water.
- If it has trouble standing, insert a toothpick behind the fin to help it stand.
- Repeat with all the cupcakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 1g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.
Love Sharks? Check out these posts: