In just 20 minutes, you can prepare this tasty and nutritious spicy salsa. You can double the recipe to serve with your favorite Mexican or Tex-Mex recipes or as a snack with your preferred tortilla chips because it keeps in the refrigerator for many days.
What is another name for salsa?
In Mexico, where salsa originated, it’s often called “salsa picante” or “hot sauce.” This name accurately describes the fiery nature of the sauce, which adds heat to any dish.
Another common name for salsa in Mexico is “pico de gallo,” which means “rooster’s beak” in Spanish. This name comes from how the diced tomato and onion mix resembles bird food.
In Cuba, another Latin American country famous for its love of music and dance, salsa is known as “mojo.”
You might enjoy these recipes:
Is salsa usually spicy?
Many people associate salsa with spiciness because some types of chili peppers are commonly used in making it. However, not all salsas are spicy.
Mild salsas contain little or no chili pepper, while medium to hot salsas use jalapeno or serrano chilies that add heat but not overpower spice.
Habanero chilies are among the hottest peppers used in making salsa which can make your eyes water if you’re not used to eating spicy food.
What are the different types of salsa?
One of the most common types of salsa is the pico de gallo, also known as salsa fresca, which includes diced tomatoes, onions, jalapeños, and cilantro.
Another type is the salsa roja, which is a cooked tomato-based sauce with chili peppers, onions, and garlic.
Salsa verde, a green sauce made of tomatillos, chili peppers, and cilantro, has a tangy and slightly sweet taste.
For those who prefer a hot and smoky flavor, the chipotle salsa, made of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, fits the bill.
Other types, like mango salsa, avocado salsa, and pineapple salsa, offer refreshing and fruity notes that blend well with savory dishes.
What are the ingredients to make Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa?
You will need the following ingredients for this good for 4 servings. It has a prep time of 10 minutes and a cook time of 10 minutes.
- Extra virgin olive oil – contributes to the overall texture of the dish.
- Yellow onion – to add a bit of sweetness and crunch, as well as flavor.
- Green bell pepper – adds a slightly sweet and crisp flavor that compliments the spiciness of the other ingredients.
- Jalapeno – has a unique combination of spiciness and sweetness that is ideal for salsa.
- Sea salt and black pepper – seasonings that most recipes call for.
- Tomatoes – provide the base for the sauce.
- Dried Mexican oregano – adds a distinctive flavor and aroma.
- Smoked paprika – to add a smoky and slightly sweet flavor.
- Crushed red pepper flakes – for a bit of heat and complexity to the dish.
- Water – to thin out the consistency of the salsa and make it easier to mix with other ingredients.
- Fresh lime juice – adds bright and citrusy flavor.
- Fresh cilantro – adds a bright, fresh, and herbaceous flavor.
How to make Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa?
It’s time to put this recipe together now that you’ve gathered all of your ingredients.
- First, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Then add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and season with salt and black pepper, according to your taste. Cook while stirring occasionally, around 4-5 minutes, until the onion and peppers become soft.
- Add the tomatoes, Mexican oregano, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, and water. Stir to combine the ingredients and reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue cooking while stirring occasionally for another 4-5 minutes.
- After that, remove from the heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Once it’s slightly cool, puree the mixture with an immersion blender, leaving it slightly chunky, or transfer it to a regular blender or food processor and pulse a couple of times until just blended.
- Transfer the salsa to a bowl and stir in fresh lime juice and cilantro. Finally, season it with additional salt and black pepper if you want. You can serve it immediately or cover it and place it in the refrigerator until it’s ready to use. Enjoy!
Now that you know everything about Quick & Easy Spicy Salsa, it is time to print or save the recipe with the exact measurements.
Not ready to print? No problem! Save this pin in your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located in the recipe card.
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced small
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ t. dried Mexican oregano
- ¼ t. smoked paprika
- ¼ - ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ c. water
- 2½ T. fresh lime juice
- 2-3 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion and peppers become soft, around 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Mexican oregano, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, and water. Stir to combine and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Once slightly cool, puree mixture with an immersion blender, leaving slightly chunky, or transfer to a regular blender or food processor and pulse a couple of times until just blended.
- Transfer salsa to a bowl and stir in fresh lime juice and cilantro. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately or cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 64Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.