We’ve all been there: it’s the day after a holiday, and you have just enough leftover ham to feed an army. Do you refrigerate, freeze, or try to eat your way through it? Fear not!
You will learn how to store leftover ham correctly and find creative recipes for using your extra cuts of meat.
From rice to breakfast to soup, you will find ways to use your leftover ham and create a delicious recipe you and your family will love.
How long is leftover ham good for?
Leftover ham can be a delicious and versatile addition to many meals. Properly stored, cooked ham will last for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can freeze the cooked ham for up to 3-4 months.
In addition, if you have spiral-cut ham leftovers from your home cooking, you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days or freeze them for up to 2 months.
No matter what type of ham you have left over, it’s important to make sure it is sealed properly before storing it. That way, you can enjoy your leftover ham for days to come.
Can I freeze leftover ham?
You can absolutely freeze cooked ham! According to FoodSafety.gov, cooked ham can be safely frozen for up to two months. Whether it be whole, sliced, or diced, make sure to place the ham in an air-tight container or freezer-safe bag before freezing.
If you have leftover cooked ham, it can keep well in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You can freeze different kinds of cooked ham, including honey ham, spiral ham, diced ham, smoked ham, deli ham, and more.
When freezing an uncooked ham, the original wrapper might not provide sufficient insulation against freezer burn, so you may need to protect it further.
If you have lots of leftover ham and don’t want it to go to waste, freezing it is a great way to preserve it. Ham will last in the freezer for up to four months when stored correctly.
How long does ham last in the fridge?
When it comes to storing ham in the fridge, it’s important to take the right steps to ensure it stays fresh for as long as possible. Whole hams can last up to 75 days, and half a ham for about 60 days when stored correctly in the original packaging.
However, ham can only last for 4-5 days if it has been cooked. If the ham has a sour smell, throw it out immediately. To keep it fresh longer, consider freezing it. Vacuum-sealed hams can last up to six months in the freezer.
Over 20 Delicious Leftover Ham Recipes
- Quinoa Fried Rice – A great way to use leftover ham!
- Leftover Ham – Make Nigella Lawson’s Cuban Black Bean Soup.
- Cuban Ham Sandwich Recipe – An easy, quick and simple variation of the traditional Cuban Ham Sandwich.
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes & Ham Recipe – A favorite dish to make with your leftover ham.
- Leftover Ham & Plantain Soup – Great way to use your leftover ham and sweeten it with plantain.
- Slow Cooker Ham Soup – Using Leftover Ham, this recipe shows step by step photos.
- Ham Casserole Recipe – This is delicious and the good news is freezes well.
- Ham and Cheese Stromboli – This recipe uses leftover ham and uses a pizza dough.
- Slow Cooker White Bean and Ham Soup Recipe – Another great soup recipe you can also freeze!
- Ham Salad – Put your leftover ham to good use!
- Hawaiian Pizza Pasta Bake – This recipe sounds amazing!
- Cheesy Ham on Cornbread – An easy breakfast recipe.
- Easy Baked Ham Sandwich – This recipe is great for leftovers!
- Slow Cooker Ham & Potato Hash – Another great recipe to use your leftover ham.
- Ham and Asparagus Spaghetti – Made with tender chunks of ham, spaghetti noodles, asparagus and Parmesan cheese.
- Ham and Cheese Quiche – You can add leftover ham to this recipe and make a delicious cheesy Quiche.
- Dutch Split Pea Sound Recipe – Great meal to create when you have family over!
- Croque Madame Bread Pudding – Delicious recipe for our next brunch.
- Classic Homemade Macaroni Salad – Adding leftover ham to your classic homemade macaroni salad will be a hit.
- Crock Pot Ham and Potato Chowder – Oh this is going to make a delicious chowder when you add leftover ham!
- 15 Bean Soup with Ham – Kick up the Cajun seasoning and you will have delicious soup!
- Ham & Egg Breakfast Cups Recipe – Another great breakfast using leftover ham.
- Ham Bone Soup – Lots of ham and veggie in this recipe.
- Hawaiian Crockpot Ham Sandwiches – Create a delicious Hawaiian ham sandwich with your leftover ham.
If you liked this post, you might also like our list of Easter casserole recipes!
1 thought on “Can I Freeze Leftover Ham? 20+ Leftover Ham Recipes”
Great ideas! I’ll be using a few of these next week!