Looking for some hot dog topping ideas? We got you covered! Hot dogs are a classic summertime favorite, but they can get boring if you always top them with the same condiments. If you’re looking for something new and exciting to put on your hot dog, then look no further!
So fire up the grill and get ready for some delicious fun!
What toppings are good on hot dogs?
Here’s a list of topping ideas to take your hot dog game to the next level. These unique topping ideas are sure to tantalize your taste buds and make everyone at your cookout happy.
A classic condiment, yellow mustard is mild and tangy, making it the perfect topping for hot dogs.
Another classic topping, ketchup provides a sweet and savory balance to the flavors of the hot dog.
Sweet relish adds a crunchy texture to your hot dog while adding a slight sweetness that balances out the saltiness of the sausage itself.
This fermented cabbage dish offers an acidic flavor profile that pairs well with most types of sausage and bun options on your hot dog plate.
Sliced onions provide another layer of texture as you bite into your meal, along with a slightly spicy kick from their strong flavoring notes similar to those from raw garlic or jalapenos peppers themselves!
The creaminess and sharpness found in many cheese sauces offer another level of flavor complexity atop your already delicious meal choice!
This sweet condiment adds an unexpected twist to the traditional hot dog, elevating it into something entirely new with its smoky flavor profile!
Another unexpected addition, coleslaw can be used as a side or topping on your hot dog plate, adding an additional level of crunchy texture to your meal choice.
Adding pickles to your hot dog in addition to other toppings, will provide a nice balance between savory and sour elements.
For those who like a little bit of a kick, adding hot sauce to your hot dog is the perfect way to do it! This condiment can add an extra layer of flavor and heat that will help set it apart from other meals.
If you’re looking for something a bit different than yellow mustard, try using a creamy mustard-based dressing instead. It won’t overpower the flavors of your favorite sausage but will still provide just enough tanginess and creaminess to balance them out perfectly!
For those who love both french fries and hot dogs, this is a match made in culinary heaven. The crispy texture of the fries adds an extra layer of crunch to the already satisfying hot dog experience.
Chili, also known as chilli con carne, consists of cooked beef or pork mixed with beans and spices for an extra kick in flavor. It’s one of the most popular toppings for American-style hot dogs.
Korean-style kimchi (spicy fermented vegetables) is becoming increasingly popular as an alternative topping option for hotdogs across the U.S., adding unique flavor and spice to your traditional meal!
Bacon Bits and Chives
Crispy bacon bits add smoky flavor to your meal while chives bring their unmistakable onion-like aroma along for the ride!
This topping truly puts the “hot” in hot dogs, so it is not for the faint of heart. However, if you enjoy heat, you’ll enjoy eating this with other flavorful toppings.
Avocado and bacon
By slicing (or crushing) an avocado to place on your hot dog, you may give it a morning twist. Add some crumbled bacon on top.
Baked beans and chips
With some delectable baked beans, this special dog combination pays homage to the good old Boston. Sprinkle some chips on top of the hot dog to add even more crunch, creating the ideal balance of salty and sweet flavors.
Buffalo sauce and blue cheese
Perhaps you simply adore the spiciness and creaminess of blue cheese and Buffalo sauce together.
Mac & cheese and bacon
If you can put mac and cheese on a burger or even in a grilled cheese sandwich, you can definitely put it on a hot dog! Add some salty bacon to the mixture, and you have the makings of a wonderful supper.
Fresh Corn and Avocado Salsa
With this confetti of fresh corn, avocado, and red onions, treat your hot dogs to the celebration they deserve!
What are the 7 toppings on a Chicago hot dog?
Chicago is known for its iconic hot dog, a delicious and savory treat that has captured the hearts of many. One of the most unique aspects of this Chicago-style frankfurter is its toppings, which are an essential part of this culinary masterpiece. When it comes to the toppings on a Chicago hot dog, here are seven must-haves that you simply can’t miss.
- Yellow mustard: A condiment made from ground mustard seeds and vinegar that has a strong, peppery flavor.
- Chopped white onions: They add a mild onion flavor and crunchy texture to the hot dog.
- Tomato slices or wedges: Tomato adds sweetness and acidity to balance the other flavors of the hot dog.
- Dill pickle spear: The salty, briny flavor of the pickle cuts through all the other ingredients perfectly.
- Sweet green pickle relish (typically dyed bright green): It’s sweet, tangy, and slightly tart with a bit of crunchiness that contrasts nicely with all of the other elements in the hot dog.
- Sport peppers: These are usually whole jalapeño peppers that bring a spicy kick to the dish—just make sure not to eat too many!
- Sprinkle of celery salt: It adds a savory herbaceous flavor and helps to enhance all the other flavors in the hot dog.
How do you jazz up hot dogs?
You can jazz up hot dogs in a variety of ways! Here are some ideas:
- Start with the classic Chicago-style toppings and add extra flavor with unique condiments such as bacon jam, guacamole, or spicy mayo.
- Try different types of hot dog buns such as pretzel buns for added crunchiness.
- Add a layer of melted cheese on top for an extra layer of flavor.
- Toast the bun in butter for a richer flavor and softer texture.
- Grill the hot dog to achieve smoky, caramelized edges that take your hot dog to the next level.
- Stuff your hot dog with grilled veggies such as bell peppers and onions for a vegetarian-friendly twist.
- Top it off with an array of fresh herbs like chives or cilantro to bring out all the flavors!
How do you upgrade hot dogs?
Upgrading hot dogs can be done in a variety of ways.
One way to upgrade your hot dogs is by adding unexpected toppings. Instead of just ketchup and mustard, try topping your hot dogs with everything from grilled onions and peppers to sautéed mushrooms and bacon bits. You can also get creative with condiments by experimenting with flavored mayonnaise or aioli.
Another way to take your hot dogs up a notch is by grilling them instead of boiling or microwaving them. Grilling gives hot dogs a smoky flavor and creates an incredibly juicy and flavorful experience. For even more flavor, try adding herbs and spices to the hot dog water before boiling them or brushing your grilled dogs with infused oils or marinades.
Finally, don’t forget about the buns! A high-quality bun can make all the difference in any hot dog. Look for buns that are soft on the inside but also sturdy enough to hold all of your toppings without falling apart. You can also experiment with different types of bread like pretzel buns to add a unique twist to your dogs.