If you’re looking for an easy, homemade jam recipe to try out, this one for vanilla fig jam is a great option. You likely have most of the ingredients on hand already, and it comes together quickly. Plus, the addition of vanilla makes it extra special.
How long does Fig Jam last in a jar?
Fig jam that has been properly sealed in a canning jar can last for up to a year if stored in a cool, dark place. Once opened, the jam should be refrigerated and used within a few weeks.
Homemade fig jam that has not been canned will only last for about a week or two when stored in the fridge. If you want your jam to last longer, you can freeze it in an airtight container for up to six months.
You might enjoy these posts:
- Poached Pears with Honey Mascarpone Cream
- The Sweetest Broiled Angel Food Cake with Maple Whipped Cream
Does fig jam need to be refrigerated?
No, fig jam does not need to be refrigerated. Fig jam can be stored at room temperature for up to two weeks. After opening the jar, if the jam is not used within two weeks, it should be refrigerated. Refrigeration will help to maintain the quality of the jam.
How do I know when my fig jam is ready?
The first thing you’ll want to do is look at your jam’s color. If it’s still on the lighter side, it’s probably not quite ready yet. You’re looking for a deep, rich color before you move on to the next step.
Next, give your jam a little taste. It should be sweet and slightly syrupy. If it’s still too tart for your liking, let it cook a little longer. Otherwise, it’s time to start packing up those jars!
What are the ingredients to make Easy Homemade Vanilla Fig Jam?
This homemade vanilla fig jam recipe has 55 minutes (10 minutes active) prep time and 50-55 minutes of cook time. Here are the ingredients you’re going to need that will make ½ pint. If preferred, you can easily double this recipe.
- Figs – It has a somewhat gritty texture and a highly sweet flavor.
- Fresh lemon juice – It aids in the setting of jam, changes the color by brightening it, and reduces sweetness so that it tastes more like fruit.
- Honey – It will not only make the jam more flavorful but also give a slight sweetness that will make it even more enjoyable.
- Pure vanilla bean extract – A great way to add depth and complexity to your jam without adding any sugar or other sweeteners.
How to make Easy Homemade Vanilla Fig Jam?
It’s time to put this recipe together now that you’ve gathered all of your ingredients.
Starting in a large bowl, combine the prepped figs with the lemon juice and allow the figs to sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.
Next, transfer the figs and juice to a large pot that is placed over medium heat. Stir in the honey and vanilla extract after adding them.
Cook for about 50 to 55 minutes, occasionally stirring until the figs are reduced to a thick, somewhat gritty jam. Remove from heat and allow it to cool a little.
Then serve right away or transfer to a container that is airtight and keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Now that you know all you need to know about easy homemade vanilla fig jam, it is time to print or save the recipe with the exact measurements.
Not ready to print? No problem! Save this pin in your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located in the recipe card.
- 1 lb. figs, stems removed, washed, and quartered
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- ½ c. honey, preferably local
- 1 t. pure vanilla bean extract
- In a large bowl, combine the prepped figs with the lemon juice and allow the figs to sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the figs, along with the juice, to a large pot set over medium heat. Add the honey and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Cook, occasionally stirring, until the figs break down into a thick and slightly granular jam, around 50-55 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Tip: This recipe can easily be doubled, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 53gProtein: 1g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.