It’s difficult to picture a traditional lasagna recipe without plenty of gooey cheese. Mozzarella, ricotta, and Parmesan are three of the most frequent cheeses used in traditional lasagna recipes. With the addition of freshly grated Asiago and shredded Gruyere, this 5-Cheese Meaty Lasagna recipe expands on the delightful cheesy basis.
What kind of cheese is good for lasagna?
While you can cook your pasta whatever way you like, certain cheeses offer a level of flavor that is unmatched. Ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, romano, and provolone are some of the cheeses used in lasagna. When feasible, use fresh, whole-milk versions of these items for a creamier, richer flavor.
You might like these recipes:
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad: A Flavorful Summer Side Dish
- Creamy Butternut Squash and Mascarpone Orecchiette
- Instant Pot® Chicken Florentine Soup
Why do you mix an egg with ricotta cheese for lasagna?
In a baking pan, ricotta cheese oozes between layers of lasagna. The addition of an egg to ricotta cheese helps to bind the cheese for lasagna, preventing it from oozing out when cut.
How do you keep the top layer of lasagna going hard?
Many cooks recommend brushing a little oil on top of the noodles before adding the sauce to prevent the noodles from drying out in the oven. Another alternative is to replace the oil with additional sauce.
What are the ingredients to make 5-Cheese Meaty Lasagna?
With a prep time of 20 minutes, additional 20 minutes to rest after baking, and a cook time of 50 to 55 minutes, here are the ingredients you’ll need for 4 to 6 servings.
- Meat sauce – You can use a jar, make your own sauce, or try this One-Pot Meat Sauce.
- Lasagna noodles – You can choose either no-boil or boiling types.
- Ricotta cheese – This will give you a thicker, richer texture.
- Egg – Helps in the binding of the cheese in lasagna.
- Italian seasoning – You can buy pre-made herb blends or make your own.
- Fresh parsley – Adds balance to this savory dish.
- Sea salt and black pepper – Seasonings that most recipes call for.
- Mozzarella cheese – This lasagna will be the creamiest and cheesiest you’ve ever had.
- Gruyere cheese – It has a flavor that is rich, creamy, salty, and nutty.
- Parmesan cheese – For fruity and nutty flavors.
- Asiago cheese – Is semi-soft and mild flavor.
How to make 5-Cheese Meaty Lasagna?
It’s time to put this recipe together now that you’ve gathered all of your ingredients.
If you prepare the beef sauce ahead of time, this recipe will be much easier to prepare. (If you don’t have time or don’t want to make your own pasta sauce, use your favorite commercial pasta sauce instead.)
Fortunately, the one-pot meat sauce recipe may be made in big volumes and stored in the freezer for later use. Before using in this dish, pulse 4 cups of the chunky beef sauce in a food processor to create a more equal consistency.
Also, make sure your noodles are completely dry before assembling your lasagna to avoid it becoming soupy.
Now follow the steps outlined below.
Preheat the oven to 375°F with the top oven rack in the center position.
Then combine ricotta cheese, egg, 2 tablespoons Italian spice, and fresh parsley in a large mixing basin. To taste, season with salt and black pepper. Set aside after mixing everything together.
Coat a 13 x 9″ glass baking dish using nonstick cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the pan with a thin coating of beef sauce, then top with three lasagna noodles. Top with an even layer of ricotta cheese mixture, then an equal amount of shredded mozzarella and Gruyere cheese. Finish with a thin layer of equal parts grated Parmesan and Asiago cheese.
Repeat with meat sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture, shredded cheeses, and grated cheeses three more times. Over the final layer, sprinkle the remaining Italian seasoning.
Bake for 30 minutes, loosely tenting the dish with aluminum foil. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 20 minutes before slicing. If preferred, serve with freshly chopped parsley on top. Enjoy!
Now that you know all you need to know about 5-Cheese Meaty Lasagna, it is time to print or save the recipe with the exact measurements.
Not ready to print? No problem! Save this pin in your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located in the recipe card.
- 4 c. meat sauce
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package instructions and dried thoroughly
- 1 24-oz. container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 T. Italian seasoning, divided
- ½ c. fresh parsley, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8-oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 8-oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded, divided
- ¾ c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, divided
- ¾ c. Asiago cheese, freshly grated, divide
- Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, and fresh parsley. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Spray a 13 x 9” glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add enough meat sauce to cover the bottom of the pan in a thin layer and then cover with 3 lasagna noodles. Top with an even layer of the ricotta cheese mixture, followed by a layer of shredded mozzarella and Gruyere cheese, using equal amounts of each. Finish with a thin layer of grated Parmesan and Asiago cheese, also in equal amounts.
- Repeat this process three more times: meat sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture, shredded cheeses, and grated cheeses. Sprinkle the remaining Italian seasoning across the final layer.
- Loosely tent dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve topped with some freshly chopped parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
Tip #1: This recipe is easier to prepare if you have the meat sauce prepared ahead of time. (If you don’t have the time or inclination to do so, use your favorite prepared pasta sauce instead).
Tip #2: The key to keeping lasagna from getting soupy is to make sure your noodles are thoroughly dried before assembling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 777Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 1323mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 48g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.