Traditionally, Shawarma-Spiced Chicken Wraps are cooked over open flames on a vertical, rotating spit. As a result, making a genuine version of this dish at home might be difficult. Fortunately, this scrumptious recipe uses ingredients and equipment you probably already have in your home to provide excellent shawarma flavor.
What are the 3 most common foods put in the shawarma?
Although there are many different variations, there are three key ingredients that almost always make an appearance: chicken, garlic sauce, and pickles.
The chicken is usually marinated in a blend of spices and grilled to perfection, giving it a wonderful texture and flavor. The garlic sauce, made with garlic, lemon juice, and oil, adds a creamy and tangy taste to the mix. Lastly, the pickles provide a crunchy and refreshing contrast to the meat and sauce.
Together, these three ingredients create a mouth-watering shawarma experience that is not to be missed.
What is shawarma marinade made of?
At the heart of shawarma lies the tantalizing marinade that gives it its unique flavor. This marinade is a blend of various ingredients including garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and a variety of spices. Some of the common spices found in shawarma marinade include cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon, and coriander. The combination of these ingredients creates a flavorful and aromatic marinade that enhances the taste of shawarma.
What can I use to wrap my shawarma?
The key to a great shawarma is not only the delicious filling, but also the perfect wrapping. While traditional shawarmas are wrapped in pita bread, there are other options to consider if you’re looking for something new to try.
A great alternative to pita is lavash or tortilla wraps, which can be found at most grocery stores. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try using lettuce leaves or even rice paper for a lighter and healthier option.
What are the ingredients to make Shawarma-Spiced Chicken Wraps?
With 10 minutes of prep time plus time to marinade and 16 to 18 minutes of cook time, here are the ingredients you’re going to need, which serves 4 to 6.
For the marinade:
- Garlic – not only imparts flavor but also helps to tenderize the meat.
- Ground coriander – has a slightly sweet and citrusy flavor.
- Ground cumin – adds a warm, earthy, and slightly nutty flavor to the dish.
- Allspice – adds depth to the dish and enhances its overall taste.
- Turmeric – adds visual appeal while its slightly bitter and earthy flavor can bring balance to the other spices.
- Ground cinnamon – has sweet fragrant notes
- Cayenne pepper – add spice and heat to the meat.
- Smoked paprika – add a smoky and slightly sweet flavor.
- Fresh lemon juice – add a tangy and citrusy flavor to the dish.
- Extra virgin olive oil – contributes to the overall texture of the marinade.
- Sea salt and black pepper – seasonings that most recipes call for.
- Chicken thighs – flavorful, tender, and hold up well to the spices and marinade.
For the Greek yogurt dressing:
- Greek yogurt – provides a creamy and tangy element.
- Dried dill weed – gives the dish a distinctive flavor and aroma.
- Ground cumin
- Fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Bibb or Romaine lettuce leaves, tomato slices, and cucumber slices – add a refreshing crunch and freshness to the dish.
How to make Shawarma-Spiced Chicken Wraps?
It’s time to put this recipe together now that you’ve gathered all of your ingredients.
You can increase or double the quantity of this recipe to create many freezer bags of chicken and marinade at once for easy make-ahead meals. When ready to use, put each bag in the freezer. To allow the chicken time to defrost and marinate at the same time, take a bag out the night before you plan to cook.
Start by combining the garlic, spices, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil in a medium bowl. To taste, add salt and black pepper, then whisk to blend.
Put the marinade mixture on top of the chicken thighs in a plastic bag that can be sealed. After carefully turning the chicken to coat it completely, seal the bag. Place for several hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Pour all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce into a glass bowl or another non-reactive bowl and mix to incorporate. Cover it and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
Then, warm up the olive oil in a big skillet over medium-high heat. Take the chicken out of the bag, then discard away the marinade. The chicken should be added to the heated skillet and browned for 2 minutes on each side. If needed, season with black pepper and salt.
Reduce the heat and it will take about 6-7 minutes per side to cook the chicken. Remove it from the heat and let it cool for a while.
Finally, slice the chicken, arrange it on lettuce leaves, and top it with tomatoes and cucumbers. Drizzle with Greek yogurt dressing and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Now that you know all you need to know about Shawarma-Spiced Chicken Wraps, it is time to print or save the recipe with the exact measurements.
Not ready to print? No problem! Save this pin in your Pinterest account by clicking the pin button located in the recipe card.
Shawarma-Spiced Chicken Wraps
Chicken shawarma is traditionally prepared on a vertical, rotating spit over open flames. As a result, it can be challenging to prepare an authentic version of this dish at home. Fortunately, this tasty recipe delivers great shawarma flavor using tools you probably already have in your kitchen.
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ t. ground coriander
- 1 t. ground cumin
- ½ t. allspice
- ¼ t. turmeric
- ½ t. ground cinnamon
- ¼ t. cayenne pepper
- 1½ t. smoked paprika
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
Greek Yogurt Dressing:
- 1 c. Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. dried dill week
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bibb or Romaine lettuce leaves
- In a medium bowl, combine garlic, spices, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine.
- Place chicken thighs in a large, sealable plastic bag and pour marinade mixture on top. Seal the bag and gently turn to thoroughly coat chicken. Place in the refrigerator for several hours to overnight.
- To prepare the yogurt sauce, combine all ingredients in a glass or other non-reactive bowl and stir to combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from bag and discard remaining marinade. Add the chicken to the hot skillet and brown on each side, approximately 2 minutes per side. Season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, approximately 6-7 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let cool for several minutes.
- Slice chicken and arrange on lettuce leaves and top with tomatoes and cucumbers. Drizzle with Greek yogurt dressing and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tip: For quick make-ahead meals, double or triple this recipe and prepare several freezers bags with chicken and marinade at once. Then, place each bag in freezer until ready to use. Pull out a bag the night before preparing to give the chicken a chance to defrost and marinade at the same time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 170mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g
These nutritional calculations might not be accurate. Please speak with a licensed nutritionist to assist you.